Sunday 3 October 2010

Sunday Scribblings "Love & Flashback"


G'Day,
This week I am doing a bit of back tracking. Last weeks Sunday Scribblings prompt was "Love". In have had a read back through last weeks entries and found some really lovely things there. It ties in with this week's Sunday Scribblings prompt for me, which is 'Flashback".
Why, how so?
Well tomorrow Pete and I have been married for 30 years. Cool eh!
30 years in a world of change and break ups in marriages and families. But we are still together. Still together after quite a few rocky bits and sad bits and lots of happy and funny bits.
Makes me wonder how we managed it all these years. But we have and I am optimistic about our future together, yes we still have one. See holding on through the rough bits is worthwhile if there is still love.
I would have liked to have a photo from our wedding to add here but as we are moving house they have been packed away in a box, and I am not dragging them out again. Maybe another post. The photo of us above, is one I have posted before. It was taken about 2, 1/2 months ago on a weekend trip to Sydney.
Flash back?
30 years ago tomorrow.
I woke early, not sleeping much that night due to nerves and excitement and visitors. I really was against the whole wedding show off thing. I just wanted to get married to my Pete without the fanfare. The fanfare was my Mum and sister's idea, not mine. I didn't want the make up and reception and the presents, just Pete. Just Pete. I did want the ceremony and would have liked it to be in a church, but Pete wasn't into that despite being bought up as a catholic. He said, he would have been a hypocrite marrying in the church.
People started arriving, my aunts and cousins, my dear adopted aunt from across the road. The car. I loved that old car. It was a 1940's something black Buick with doors that opened back the front, a real old gangster car. I can't remember the other car but it was a big black american vintage thing too. My uncles provided them and chauffered for us.
I struggled with my make up and poked myself in the eye with the mascara. My sister stepped in and helped and I cringed at the" not me-ness" of it all. Everyone said I looked beautiful but I certainly didn't feel like it. Photos were taken by the old curtains in Mum's living room, ha. Funny how fashions change. Oh well. Stepping ahead.
My dad drove with me in the back of the car and we didn't know what to say to each other. So we said nothing. I don't know what I was expecting but .....something.
We went to the Botanical gardens in Wagga, my park. The park where I played as a child, and walked to as a teen and got married in and picnicked in and had my children's birthday parties and where they played too. We had chosen a spot under a big graceful gum tree in the native area of the gardens. A table was set up and the crowd was gathering. I walked up on my Dad's arm and there was Pete waiting. He looked so nervous and pale.
I took his hand.
I still have his hand,
he still has my heart.
30 years.
And onwards.

Bye.
Love Linda.

18 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Definitely above the national average!

Merle said...

Dear Linda ~~ Congrats to you and Pete on 30 years of marriage. That
is good these days and I hope you have many many more happy years together. I like that pic of you both
and your answers were good. I hope you get the house you applied for on
Friday and that will be the first problem solved for you. Glad you liked the pics of some of my family
and the things I posted. Take care,
my friend, Love, Merle.

Jae Rose said...

Congratulations on your anniversary for tomorrow Linda! (I am having trouble with the time complexities of wishing you this from the UK!) It is a lovely flashback of your wedding day..I am glad you shared..Jae

Deborah said...

Congratulations! that was lovely to share in :o)

Anonymous said...

Aww that is lovely and congratulations. You will notice that the whole country is having a holiday to celebrate!!

Michelle

George S Batty said...

Awesome..we just celebrated 35 in June but it was the 2nd time for both of us.
Congrats to both you and Pete

Understanding Alice said...

Hooray for thirty years! may the years to come bring you more happy memories :)

keiths ramblings said...

How lovely and what perfect timing. Congratulations - I only managed 21 years and that was actually 3 times seven! Hey-ho!!

keiths ramblings said...

How lovely and what perfect timing. Congratulations - I only managed 21 years and that was actually 3 times seven! Hey-ho!!

Bimbimbie said...

Congrats to you both - I remember my dad saying to me in the back of the car "it's not to late to turn back" we hit 30 last year*!*

Old Egg said...

What a delightful reminiscence of your wedding day and your attachment to Wagga's botanic park.

May you have many more anniversaries to come.

George S Batty said...

Just opened your inquiry on how I was doing. Thank you for thinking of me. I havn't blooged much in the last few weeks for several reasons. I have been busy trying to find some kind of ending for my book.
I also decided I wanted to learn how to make web sites so I bought some books and I am teaching myself.
Interesting but very time consuming and to top that off my wife decided I was going to change my writing room. (clean it up and organize...me organize...ha) But I was a good boy. Now it is clean and organized and I cannot find anything and my writing muse has turned into a writing mu

Anonymous said...

wow, incredible. Is hard to me maintain a relationship ( dates ) with a girl for two months and you have one by the last 30 years with the same guy. And you are very happy!!! Well, congratulations, I hope still find out who is my girl like you find out who was your boy

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site llindylou.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Dee Martin said...

Congratulations - we had our thirtieth this year as well. It does seem that we are becoming the exception more than the rule. Makes me sad.
We were married outside as well. Under a tree in his parents front yard, with an arch decorated with bluebonnets. We were both skinny and ready to take on the world :)

Lilibeth said...

Congratulations on your patience with other, humility, willingness to serve.Love is great, but it takes a lot more to achieve a long, beautiful marriage. I attended a wedding today and heard all those words once again. Like you, I've been married a long time. We've had some hard times, but I still love him and I'm glad we kept our promises and vows.

oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, nike air max, jordan pas cher, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, air max, longchamp outlet, nike air max, polo outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, kate spade outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, louis vuitton, sac longchamp pas cher, burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, uggs on sale, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin outlet, gucci handbags, nike free run, oakley sunglasses wholesale, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, christian louboutin, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors pas cher, replica watches, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, nike roshe

oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, moncler uk, ugg uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, montre pas cher, hollister, doudoune moncler, karen millen uk, juicy couture outlet, canada goose jackets, replica watches, canada goose uk, moncler, louis vuitton, links of london, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, swarovski, canada goose outlet, canada goose, marc jacobs, swarovski crystal, canada goose, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, coach outlet, pandora charms, moncler outlet, pandora jewelry, ugg, supra shoes, moncler, moncler outlet, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, toms shoes, moncler, moncler