Monday 27 April 2009

Sunday Scribblings "Follow"

G'Day,
I am back after my South Australia adventure. We traveled about 3500 km all up on the trip, that is just the km showing on the car's speedo, without the side trips we traveled on the little plane and bus when we went to Kangaroo Island.We saw the Coorong, the city, desert, etc. Lots and lots to tell but later.
So Follow!
What do I follow, or who?
Musicians that I follow, or whose talents I enjoy, I guess that is a way of following.
I always loved Billy Joel, especially his lyrics that can make me happy or bring me to tears but always are wonderful and have special meaning to me. Point in case- the songs, Honesty, Always a woman, Just the way you are, who doesn't want to be loved like that? Italian restaurant, Leningrad, always makes me cry, ah, so many great songs.
Also love the style of John Butler, my nieces say I should have been a hippy liking that sort of stuff, he he.
Jimmy Barnes, love his gutsy voice and especially his soul deep album. only seen him live once but it was fantastic.
Natalie and Nat King Cole, both of them. Saw Natalie when she came to Australia years ago and that was great but was a bit disappointed because I thought the performance was too polished and never deviated from the way you hear her sing on the albums and I thought she should have put a bit of grunt into it. But never mind, still great.
Mozart, cool and calming, great when you have to drive through the city peak hour traffic or when you are driving through the beautiful Aussie bush, sets the mood beautifully.
Red hot chili peppers, good for singing along and if you want something more fast paced.
Anything 70's and 80's Aussie rock, a great period for Aussie pub music.
Gutsy woman jazz/ blues singers.Anyone who has that special quality in their voice that I feel.
Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc etc all that old style rock that today's teens refuse to recognize as the fore runners of today's music. Often had my kids say when something comes on the radio rehashed "How do you know that song?".
One of the things that I love to follow are some of the things I did on the trip we came home from just last night.
The Australian bush. Love it, draw from it. Peace, strength, beauty, serenity and a special toughness that makes me feel that the earth is going to survive and be here long after we, as a species, is long gone. Have you ever traveled through the Australian bush and watched the light play with the trees and plants, highlighting, changing sparkling on the leaves. Seen the subtle nuances of the colour changes between the earth and leaves and the bark on the tree trunks and the way they grow and adapt to their respective environments. I can never understand how anybody could look at a tree or plant and not see it's beauty, or just see the dead leaves, wood and fallen bark without seeing that a part of nature's regeneration process. So beautiful. If you have not seen like that, try. The life that they protect and harbor, the birds, insects and animals. Maybe that is one of the reasons I have liked living in Canberra. Australia's bush capital. We have such a beautiful world, look at it.
I would follow, and follow to the end of the earth, my husband, I love him and want to be with him for the rest of my life. But we are damaged and I still can not get what happened out of my mind, I am trying, but it is stuck in there, even though he says that is all over with. I need to be stonger, and know if I was, that I probably would not still be here now, most women would not be, but I want to be, but there you go. Follow.
That is all this post.
Bye
Love Linda.

6 comments:

anthonynorth said...

A ride through many emotions today. You seem refreshed by your trip, and I like the variety of your music loves.

Shadow said...

i follow your sentiments (with hubby) completely...

red hot chili peppers ROCK!

Sorrow said...

I suppose the most important thing one must follow is your heart.
and if it ever leads you half way around the world, stop in for tea, and play in the mud.

Tumblewords: said...

A variety of follows and deep thought. I've always yearned to see the Australian bush, the music you selected resonates with me, as well. I've never been strong enough to 'get over it' in most relationships but admire those who can. A living post, this one! Nicely done.

floreta said...

I still like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doobie Brothers.. etc. :)

linda may said...

Thanks for your comments everyone.
Sorrow; I would so so love that.
Tumblewords; I wish I had a magic wand.
There is so much great music in the world isn't there Tony & Floreta, we were listening to Led Zep on our way across the Hay plains on Sunday, amazing landscape and suited the music.