Sunday 28 September 2008

Weddings. Sunday Scribblings no.2.

G'Day,
Yesterday I wrote my Sunday Scribblings post but today and last night I have been reading everyone elses entries on this prompt and I wanted to come back and have another go at it and tell you about my wedding.
Peter and I were married in what someone told us was a Clayton's wedding. Clayton's was a non alcoholic drink that was around at the time.It was a Clayton's wedding because it was considered by this person as a watered down affair as it was not done in a church before god but was held in the park.
Anyway Pete and I had been together for nearly 4 years and it was the next natural step showing our commitment to our futures together. We were and still are best friends and in love. Our love has matured and changed and grown over the years. Anyway back to our wedding story.
We. decided we were at the point that we just wanted to be together. We didn't really mind how it was done but we wanted to get it over and done with so we could be together.
Peter went and asked my Dad if he could marry me and my Dad who was expecting it anyway made him wait, standing awkwardly for his answer, Pete was very nervous and really sweating until he was answered and Dad always laughed about it afterwards with him.
The arrangements were a pain. I was so sick of it all by the end of it that we were seriously considering going to the court house to get married and dumping the wedding plans all together.
My Mum, and Aunties took over and got all excited and ran off like chooks with their heads cut off.
I was told that as they were paying for my wedding they would have what they wanted.
It left me so cynical about weddings afterwards that I always said that I didn't have a wedding my Mum had a show.
I chose a cake design which one of my Aunts was going to decorate. She didn't like that so did something all together different.
I chose the stationery and when I made up the invitation list it was changed and added to to suit everyone else. I had to invite people just because, which I thought was stupid.
My sister took over the make up and it wasn't me.
The decorations for the reception hall were taken over by my Mum and one of her friends. Don't laugh but they chose crepe paper and tissue paper flowers in gaudy colors dipped in melted wax to preserve them. I hated them.We made them ourselves.
The menu had to be planned to suit everyone elses tastes except mine.
We ended up having what I reckoned must have been the work experience girl on my wedding day, to do the photography and of all the pictures she took I saw only a handful of them finished.
We booked a motel room for the night and as Pete decided that he didn't want them to know it was for a wedding we got the room next door to the elevator which rattled up and down all night with drunks going in and out of the motel.
Just about the only thing I did have a say in was my dress. I think I paid about $75 for a local dress maker to make it up from a picture I found in a magazine and then I hired it off her for the day and gave it back to her to reuse at the end of it all. She was setting herself up in a bridal hire business. The brides maids kept theirs but I wasn't really fussed at the idea of keeping mine, so that worked well.
At the reception there was a bit of a spat between my step father in law and aunt over the wine on the tables. AHHHHH!
On the day it was dark and stormy but the weather held off beautifully for our outdoors wedding. Thunder storms were predicted as october is late spring and that is when we get them in Wagga. We got married under a big graceful gum tree in the botanic gardens in Wagga. When I got there Pete was looking very nervous and white. I don't know why because he knew I would turn up. Anyway when we looked at each other and said our vows, it seemed to me, as if we were the only two people in the world.There was no audience, just us.
My sister kept saying, Lin the court house isn't open until Monday you can change your mind, you are not married until then. Laughing of course. But I later heard that she was saying it would not last.
Next weekend it is our 28th wedding anniversary. We are doing well, have weathered many storms and bought up three children along the way. I really thought long and hard about if I wanted to get married at all. I had seen and heard about so many break ups and I am not a risk taker, especially with my heart. But, it has all worked out well and I think we will always be together.
Peter and I are each others life partners.
"Grow old with me, the best is yet to be".

4 comments:

MeowGoddess said...

Dear Goddess Linda May,

Thanks for stopping by.

It takes a Goddess to know a Goddess.

What a beautiful post!!! My first wedding (which the parents paid for) and my second wedding (which I paid for) was a show for the family and my memories a blur of what was.

I do love that you got married outside in nature and under a gum tree. And that you're still together and going strong.

Thanks for your beautiful sharing.

Wishing you,
Peace & Love, Just Because,
Goddess Diana

Granny Smith said...

This is a thoughtful filtering of things that you liked or didn't like about your wedding. It makes me realize why so many of our young friends and relatives are paying for their own these days, so that the ceremony fits their wishes exactly, be it elaborate or simple. You seem to have had the most important component of any wedding - the right partner!

I wish you and Peter many more years of happiness!

Martha said...

Lovely sentiments about you and Pete. 28 years is a great achievement in this day and age. Joe and I will celebrate 30 years in November. We can hardly believe it has been that long.

Merle said...

G'Day Linda ~~Wonderful post about your wedding and happy life with Pete. Congrats , both on the post and the marriage. I have left an award for you on my blog. Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.